Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Chirp...chirp...chirp...chirp...chirp...chirp

I swear there's a conspiracy going on.

Chirp...chirp...chirp is the sound our smoke detectors make in the MIDDLE of the NIGHT and only in the middle of the night when the batteries are dying.

                Smoke-Detector-HS-101-

Why do they go off at 2 am instead of 2 pm?

Why have 4 of them gone off in the past 3 weeks and only between the hours of 12 am and 5 am?

Why are they always in the most INCONVENIENT places?

Picture this:

-4 am chirp...chirp...chirp...chirp

-Matt and I lying in bed.  "NOT AGAIN!"  "Where is it coming from this time?" "I think it's the one on the other side of the wall." "The one we can't reach without a ladder?" "Yup!" "What are we going to do?" "I don't know?" (We don't own a ladder.)

-Matt leaves the room to make sure.

-5 minutes later he returns..."I think I'm gonna need your help so I don't kill myself."

-We walk out to the living room and I see Matt has taken one of our barstools, set it under the culprit, with 2 big pillows from our couch sitting on top of the stool.

-Me: "You really want to do this?  Matt: "What else are we going to do?"  Me: "I don't know!"

-So I grab the legs of the stool and hold on for dear life.

-He climbs up onto the stool and with such balance, grace, and some ballerina moves I've never before seen, gets up on his tip tip tippy toes and reaches for the alarm.  He can barely reach with the very tips of his fingers, but some how miraculously unscrews the thing and yanks it from the ceiling.

-TA DA!!!

I wish I had pictures.  It was quite a sight.  Now with 4 of our smoke alarms currently down, I hope we really don't have a fire before we get them functioning again.

4 comments:

Julia Kelly said...

Jacob and I were just having this conversation about why smoke alarm batteries ONLY die at like 2 AM. So annoying!

Steph said...

We had that happen too! Except we were in an apartment...and it was a week after Eden was born. Lon would replace the batteries, but they still did it, but just in the middle of the night. Lon went and explained over and over to the manager that we had a brand new baby and she didn't ever help us. So our story ended with Lon getting really mad one night and yanking it out, putting it in a sack and went over and hung it on the manager's door! Haha.

Nic & Kandis said...

I remember at one of my old apartments I lived in when I was single the smoke alarm battery died early in the morning while we were all sleeping...what the heck! It truly is a conspiracy!

Anyways, to answer your question about the babies room...the colors in there are blue (kind of a light gray, dusty blue), chocolate brown, a little bit of tan and light green, and white. I think we are going to end up painting the walls a chocolate brown and do white wainscoting.

Logan and Ashley said...

I hate that. And we have the same problem. The alarm only goes off at night, in the middle of the night. Although you have us beat. We haven't had four in a row before. So sorry. Get some sleep!! :0)